Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Texas panhandle - 3 miles into New Mexico (?)
Date: Jan 08, 2004 @ 17:10
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

I have to agree with Kevin.

Mike, the admission of Texas in 1845 WAS highly contentious THEN, but that's how
it went down--with the pre-approved Congressional consent for unilateral
subdivision. That provision was one of the several unique conditions negotiated
between the USA and the RT. Sure, there'd be folks with ruffled feathers if
Texas ever exercised its right, and anybody can raise a stink or sue; but the
law is the law. The congressionally required consent (representing the
interests of the rest of the states) has ALREADY been given!

The 1850 alienation of parts of Texas was by outright sale to the feds for $10
million. Whatever admissions to the Union and how many were eventually made
from that parcel was none of Texas's doing, but entirely up to the Congress.
That deal was no different from the 1802 sale to the feds by Georgia of what is
now most of Alabama and Mississippi for $1.25 million.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA