Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Boris Gleb
Date: Jan 01, 2004 @ 22:45
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

I don't think that's a bridge, but rather a dam with a roadway on it. The
following is quoted from the International Boundary Study (
http://tinyurl.com/2bxzh ):

> The site which Norway, pursuant to Article 5 of the Agreement between Norway
and
the Soviet Union on the utilization of water power on the Pasvik (Paatso) River,
shall
make available free of charge for use by the Soviet Union for purposes of
operation
and maintenance as long as the Boris Gleb power station exists is situated at
the
junction of the Boris Gleb dam with the left bank of the Pasvik River and has an
area
of 1.01 hectares.

The dam is Norwegian, and therefore above the boundary, but the Russians are
allowed to maintin a small power station on Norwegian soil at its west end to
supply the needs of Boris Gleb. That could explain why boundary monument 196 is
shown within the river. It is probably at the base of the dam.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA