Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: chnmtx chnmso aznmso
Date: Dec 25, 2003 @ 02:08
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Mike,

I'm sorry that I was less than clear. I was suggesting that the IWBC might
arrange with the Border Patrol for you to be permitted to visit the
tripoint--preferably without the Border Patrol, but with them if need be.

The office in El Paso in indeed the supreme head office of the US Section of the
IWBC. There is none higher.

When I had the IWBC send me a copy of the treaty last summer, they didn't have
it on their web site. Now it's there as a .pdf file:
http://www.ibwc.state.gov/Files/1970Treaty.pdf . Go to page 13 of the .pdf and
see Article II Section A for the description of how the boundary runs in the
rivers.

You will find that the boundary in the Rio Grande and Colorado River "shall run
along the middle of the channel occupied by normal flow." Where there are two
or more channels, the boundary is in the middle of the one with the "greater or
greatest average width over its length." In Section B. on the next page, the
IWBC is empowered to determine "the normal flows, which shall exclude flood
flows, and the average widths."

My earlier statement regarding midway between the vegetation lines was simply
meant as a suggestion of what might perhaps be the amateur's best field
approximation of the middle of the channel at normal flow.

I interpret the treaty's "middle of the channel" as the geographic median line,
not the thalweg. I base this on the specification of the average width (and
nothing about depth) as the determinant of the boundary channel when there are
more than one. I believe this to be entirely appropriate for a pair of rivers
known for their shallowness and scarcely navigable.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA