Subject: PRVI
Date: Dec 16, 2003 @ 03:50
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Earlier, in another context, Mike wrote:

> & the problems of prusvin & prusvis are largely confined to figuring
> out how to balance the effects of the 9nm regime of puerto rico with
> those of the 3nm regime of the virgin islands

> probably by first giving the 3nm full effect
> & then wrapping the 9nm around it as much as possible

> tho i could imagine giving them a proportional effect too
> &or even cutting a clean meridional division between them
> or some other solution

> but i assume this remains undone & so is only putative in any case
> & therefore maybe not so pressing or problematic as the others

I, also, assume that this remains undone, but I can tell you exactly how it
would be done.

The first paragraph of Article 12 of the Convention on the Territorial Sea and
Contiguous Zone says:
_______________________

Where the coasts of two States are opposite or adjacent to each other, neither
of the two States is entitled, failing agreement between them to the contrary,
to extend its territorial sea beyond the median line every point of which is
equidistant from the nearest points on the baselines from which the breadth of
the territorial seas of each of the two States is measured.

So, there would first be drawn a median line between the two closest
Puertorriqueño and Virgin islands. Then the respective 9nm and 3nm limits would
extend outward against, but in no wise beyond, the median line. The median line
would squarely whack off the arc of each, the wider arc of Puerto Rico much more
bluntly so.

The points PRUSVIN and PRUSVIS would be located where the Virgin 3nm arc
encounters the median line.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA