Subject: Re: mxn trip?
Date: Dec 13, 2003 @ 18:08
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

ok lowell thanx
thats what i thought you thought

& this odd number thesis of yours
whether of a single or threefold
or for that matter why not even quintuple etc
1849camxnm multipoint
coincides completely with one of my 4 theses

the other 3 comprise a crossclave thesis
involving a double such multipoint
at the middle of the colorado both times
as detailed earlier & attached below

i will also insert a few comments
within your analysis below

the 3 subsets of this thesis that i was still considering as of
yesterday are of californian
or mexican
or new mexican ownership of the left bank parcel north of the geodesic

but i am beginning to think it could not have been mexican
or why draw the line in the first place

but it still is a tossup in my mind between new mexican or
californian ownership of this alternative theoretical parcel

more below

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> Mike,
>
> Only the records of the 1849 survey would tell us just exactly
where in the
> confluence of the Gila and the Colorado that the initial point of
the geodesic
> line was placed. My notion that it was not in the middle of the
Colorado is
> based upon my reading of the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo of 1848.
I can't say
> whether the commissioners on the ground interpreted it my way when
they surveyed
> the geodesic.
>
> First, the treaty gives a description of the whole boundary, then
it more
> carefully describes the geodesic "in order to preclude all
difficulty in tracing
> upon the ground the limit separating Upper from Lower California."
>
> Before I quote these descriptions, please realize that they were
written in a
> suburb of Mexico City by people who had never been to Yuma. The
Gila was
> envisioned as an east-west river, and the Colorado as a north-south
river. Also
> realize that the Colorado was not being made a boundary of any kind
in this
> treaty. The MXUS boundary would consist of the middle of the Gila
and the
> geodesic to the Pacific.
>
> The treaty describes the boundary from the Gulf of Mexico and
eventually comes
> to the Gila. "...thence down the middle...of the said [Gila]
river, until it
> empties into the Rio Colorado; thence across the Colorado,
following the
> division line between Upper and Lower California, to the Pacific
Ocean."

excellent analysis
but here i understand the text to also possibly say the boundary is
to enter & cross the colorado at the point where the middle of the
gila reaches it

& i think it would have to try to cross per the specs
but because of the unanticipated geographical situation could only go
halfway across
where the gila ceases to be
before finally having to turn geodesic per the specs

> In the more precise description of the geodesic, intended to assist
the
> surveyors in finding it, the treaty specifies "a straight line
drawn from the
> middle of the Rio Gila, where it unites with the Colorado, to a
point on the
> coast of the Pacific Ocean..."
>
> In no part of the treaty is the "middle" of the Colorado
mentioned. If the
> Colorado were being made a boundary, then it would be reasonable
for the middle
> of the Gila to join onto its middle. However, the boundary comes
down the
> middle of the Gila until it "empties into" or "unites with" the
Colorado, then
> becomes a geodesic that runs "across" the Colorado and on to the
Pacific.

yes
as i say
this is one of the 2 possible readings
& of the several possible theses
most of which continue to call for an 1849camxnm tripoint essentially
coincident with modern azbcca mxn

but perhaps there is some record or map that would settle this

meantime
in the few minutes i have remaining here at the library
since the university is closed today
let me just report i have moved into the smugglers spa
& have made myself much more comfortable here in my clave
tho it is a 40 mile commute to the internet

have been sharing the pool & my weed there with a gorgeous lady from
texas who may help smuggle my stuff out for a share next week

she looks like a very straight nice old lady

i cant do it myself because i look too much like the zigzag man &
they do culturally profile you there
& besides have been in border jail several times
briefly of course
but am permanently on their computer

running out of time

more of this story to come

This
> is why I think that the geodesic began, or should have begun, in
the middle of
> the mouth of the Gila, regardless of the location of the middle of
the Colorado.

> When applied to the landscape, we find that the Gila intersected
the Colorado at
> some now indefinite point on a great looping meander of the latter
(not the
> counter-clockwise one that skirts Yuma to the north, but the
clockwise one that
> occupied the bottoms northeast of Yuma before the river was
channelized).
> Depending on the orientation at the time of the two rivers within
those bottoms,
> a geodesic from within the mouth of the Gila could have crossed the
middle of
> the Colorado once or thrice on its way toward the Pacific. If
once, then the
> portion of the New Mexico Territory (once formed in 1850) that was
north of the
> now- ghost geodesic in today's northern Yuma would have been a pene-
enclave
> connected to the rest of the territory by half the width of the
Colorado (with
> only one CAMXNM). If thrice, then it would have been an enclave of
the New
> Mexico Territory surrounded by California along the Colorado and
Mexico along
> the geodesic (and there would have been three CAMXNM's).
California's
> boundaries at admission in 1850 were simply the middle of the
Colorado and the

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/