Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: mxn trip?
Date: Dec 12, 2003 @ 22:40
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Mike,

Only the records of the 1849 survey would tell us just exactly where in the
confluence of the Gila and the Colorado that the initial point of the geodesic
line was placed. My notion that it was not in the middle of the Colorado is
based upon my reading of the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo of 1848. I can't say
whether the commissioners on the ground interpreted it my way when they surveyed
the geodesic.

First, the treaty gives a description of the whole boundary, then it more
carefully describes the geodesic "in order to preclude all difficulty in tracing
upon the ground the limit separating Upper from Lower California."

Before I quote these descriptions, please realize that they were written in a
suburb of Mexico City by people who had never been to Yuma. The Gila was
envisioned as an east-west river, and the Colorado as a north-south river. Also
realize that the Colorado was not being made a boundary of any kind in this
treaty. The MXUS boundary would consist of the middle of the Gila and the
geodesic to the Pacific.

The treaty describes the boundary from the Gulf of Mexico and eventually comes
to the Gila. "...thence down the middle...of the said [Gila] river, until it
empties into the Rio Colorado; thence across the Colorado, following the
division line between Upper and Lower California, to the Pacific Ocean."

In the more precise description of the geodesic, intended to assist the
surveyors in finding it, the treaty specifies "a straight line drawn from the
middle of the Rio Gila, where it unites with the Colorado, to a point on the
coast of the Pacific Ocean..."

In no part of the treaty is the "middle" of the Colorado mentioned. If the
Colorado were being made a boundary, then it would be reasonable for the middle
of the Gila to join onto its middle. However, the boundary comes down the
middle of the Gila until it "empties into" or "unites with" the Colorado, then
becomes a geodesic that runs "across" the Colorado and on to the Pacific. This
is why I think that the geodesic began, or should have begun, in the middle of
the mouth of the Gila, regardless of the location of the middle of the Colorado.

When applied to the landscape, we find that the Gila intersected the Colorado at
some now indefinite point on a great looping meander of the latter (not the
counter-clockwise one that skirts Yuma to the north, but the clockwise one that
occupied the bottoms northeast of Yuma before the river was channelized).
Depending on the orientation at the time of the two rivers within those bottoms,
a geodesic from within the mouth of the Gila could have crossed the middle of
the Colorado once or thrice on its way toward the Pacific. If once, then the
portion of the New Mexico Territory (once formed in 1850) that was north of the
now- ghost geodesic in today's northern Yuma would have been a pene-enclave
connected to the rest of the territory by half the width of the Colorado (with
only one CAMXNM). If thrice, then it would have been an enclave of the New
Mexico Territory surrounded by California along the Colorado and Mexico along
the geodesic (and there would have been three CAMXNM's). California's
boundaries at admission in 1850 were simply the middle of the Colorado and the
portion of the geodesic west thereof.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA