Subject: Re: Four Color Maps
Date: Dec 08, 2003 @ 00:44
Author: m06079 ("m06079" <barbaria_longa@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> See below.

Zandt's
> > BUS&SS.
> > > While I can agree that Pacific coastal states can extend their
> > territorial
> > > waters no more than 3 nautical miles into the Pacific, I would
> > argue that the
> > > waters around Point Roberts are not at all the Pacific Ocean,
> >
> > i would not argue
> > but i am pretty sure the sla actually says
> > 3nm from coasts
> > & doesnt necessarily specify oceanic waters nor distinguish
internal
> > ones from them
> > & i believe the supremes have basically signed off on this law too
> > as early as 1954
>
> You are correct that is does say coasts, but coastlines (from which
the three
> miles of state waters are measured) have been interpreted by the
Supremes as
> composed of the shores of oceans and the closing lines of internal
waters.

> Lowell G. McManus
> Leesville, Louisiana, USA

ok as i say
hahahaha
you & all the maps could well be right

the 3nm regime never enters georgia or juan de fuca strait
even tho american waters in both their entrances as well as in the
waters between them easily clear 3nm much of the way round

& this purely as a matter of the closing lines of historic bays

very neat

neat enough to buy on the spot in fact & change my opinion

however
usgs is curiously & conspicuously missing the 3nm line everywhere
around cape flattery
the critical turning & changing point if any
& everywhere inland of it
& indeed the topos seem to duck the issue most poignantly
tho they are crystal clear & state of the art punctilious about these
delineations all around oruswa for example

so clearly something remains unresolved in reality here rather than
only in my mind

but i grant there is ample evidence you all may well be right
or may be proved right in a real contest
& it was good of you to call me on my assertion that there is a known
case of an inland exclave

i should have said there is believed to be such a case