Subject: Dry Tortugas
Date: Dec 07, 2003 @ 23:55
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Mike,

I've cut out the mounting clutter and re-titled the thread.

You wrote:

> thanx very much for this choice morsel in any case
> & you can see here that the usgs still doesnt have it right
> http://topozone.com/map.asp?lat=24.66472&lon=-82.85556
> but draws the line between the 3nm & 9nm regimes
> on an east west basis rather than the north south line you specify
> something i had always suspected they had done arbitrarily
> but couldnt prove until now

Those TopoZone links never work right for me. After 15 minutes of trying to get
to something recognizable from the various settings at the linked URL, I gave up
and went to TerraServer. There I easily found the big picture on the Dry
Tortugas at http://tinyurl.com/y5w2 .

Here you can see that this 1989 map has both east-west and north-south
components to the division between the different Gulf and the Atlantic state
waters regimes. Admittedly, the source from which I took the description that I
gave was rather simplistic. My point and that of the source was more that the
Submerged Lands Act did trump the pre-existing state claims in the Atlantic
(however defined). I will endeavor to research the actual SCOTUS decision and
render a full report.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA