Subject: Re: Four Color Maps
Date: Dec 06, 2003 @ 18:00
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> Adam,
>
> You wrote:
>
> > but the only true exclave in the US is in the western corner of
> > Kentucky.
>
> Don't forget Liberty Island and the original portion of Ellis
Island, which are
> New York enclaves within New Jersey. Of course, a number of states
have inlands
> that are enclaves within international waters, but that's obviously
not what you
> meant.
>
> Just which states would fall into the latter category? I'd
nominate Florida,
> California, Alaska, and Hawaii. Any others?

actually those are all cases of islands rather than inlands

the only known case of an inland doing what you say is point roberts
washington
which is separated from the rest of washington by more than 6
nautical miles & is thus an exclave of washington
tho not enclaved in anything

but all your 4 cases mentioned above are really of states & their
waters enclaved in american federal waters enclaved in international
waters

not exactly what you are claiming

& one final island exclave also beyond 6nm
machias seal island & company off maine
tho that is of course under dispute

<choatune@y...>

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/