Subject: Re: caruthersville mo
Date: Nov 14, 2003 @ 15:31
Author: m06079 ("m06079" <barbaria_longa@...>)

so no wonder she stomped on my question

the birthplace of the bootheel was not caruthersville at all
as the place proclaims
but walkers mind
which was concentrated 2 miles downriver from there at the time
& therefore not even close to the bounds of modern caruthersville

now i hope we can do as well on the other part of the original
question
long since clipped
regarding the ok panhandle

because i believe that also involved a bit more than bus&ss gives
like political struggles etc

of course the territory of modern ok was by 1890 the last remaining
hole in the lower 48
& tho ok preceded az & nm into the union
it was really just the last catchall of miscellaneous lands reserved
to indians & the public domain

so thats probably most of the story in a nutshell

but there may have been more to it than that

like i think tx may have wanted this land back

or there was talk of attaching it to some other adjacent state
etc

but i cant recall the particulars

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> The plantation owner in question was one John Hardeman Walker of
Little Prairie

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/