Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Contiguous Or Not Contiguous; That Is The Question
Date: Nov 12, 2003 @ 03:37
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

I remember doing legal research during graduate school in 1977 comparing the
laws of various states as to how or whether they allocate large waterbodies to
their counties. Michigan has a relatively odd approach: Since 1846, all
Michigan counties touching upon any one lake (Superior, Michigan, Huron, St.
Clair, and Erie) have had common criminal jurisdiction over that lake. However,
that does not mean that the county lines stop at the lakeshores. On the
contrary, they do extend through the lakes to the interstate or international
boundaries, sometimes having statutory turns and corners along the way.

Now, to address your question of contiguity: Microsoft STREETS & TRIPS is great
for showing the county boundaries of each of the Great Lakes states within the
respective lakes. It's very easy to tell which are contiguous with others on
the opposite shore. If you don't have this software, I will be glad to make you
and your fellow globbers an official list of what is contiguous to what--but it
might be a couple of days before I can get to it. Until then, good globbing!

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA