Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Oklahoma / Texas Border - River Borders
Date: Nov 06, 2003 @ 01:28
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Yes! The compact sends cartographers back to the drawing boards with their
erasers in hand. A well-trained monkey could now find the OKTX boundary on a
current aerial photo!

The compact says that the implementation and future evolution of the vegetation
line boundary will never affect the ownership of property or of tribal
sovereignty in either state. Each state will recognize land titles that are
legal under the laws of the other. Property taxes for each given year will be
owed to whichever jurisdiction contains the property or whatever portion of it
on January 1.

Interestingly, the compact had the general support of landowners because it
brought some sanity to their lives for the first time! Before this compact, the
Red River segment of OKTX was the sorriest excuse for a state boundary in the
country.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA