Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Oklahoma / Texas Border - River Borders
Date: Nov 06, 2003 @ 00:26
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Here's the latest on the OKTX boundary, of which some are apparently unaware:

The boundary was drastically rectified and permanently established in the Red
River Boundary Compact. With ratification by the two states and the consent of
the Congress, it became effective on August 31, 2000. Consent to the compact
was also sought and obtained from the Choctaw and Chickasaw nations and from the
Kiowa, Comanche, and Apache tribes, although these Indian consents were not
necessary.

In the words of the compact, "The permanent political boundary line between the
states of Oklahoma and Texas along the Red River is the vegetation line along
the south bank of the Red River except for [through Lake Tacoma,where the
pre-reservoir boundary line was to be marked with buoys]... On the effective
date of this compact, the party states agree that the State of Oklahoma
possesses sovereignty over all lands north of the boundary line established by
this compact and that the State of Texas possesses sovereignty over all lands
south of the boundary line established by this compact."

That instantly eliminated multitudes of all wildly wandering cut-offs on the
opposite sides of the river. The compact provides for the instant movement of
the boundary with all future movements of the vegetation line, whether by
accretion, erosion, or even avulsion. Simply put, whenever the vegetation line
moves by any natural means, the boundary moves with it. The stated purpose of
the compact is "Placement of the boundary at a location that can be visually
identified or located without the necessity of a current survey..." It also
states, "The interests of the party states are better served by establishing the
boundary between the states through use of a readily identifiable natural
landmark than through use of an artificial survey line."

You can read the Red River Boundary Compact at http://tinyurl.com/ttqt .

The ARTX boundary on the Red River, downstream of the OKTX boundary, remains a
mess. There too, the south bank of the river is the boundary, based on the
Adams-de OnĂ­s Treaty between the USA and Spain. Mike sent us a map of the area
near New Boston, Texas. Just ten days ago, I crossed the bridge that connects
Arkansas 41 to Texas 8, north of New Boston. It's a new bridge, about three
years old. In addition to the usual state welcome signs at the respective ends
of the bridge, there are two small green signs on the railings that say only
"State Line." This notice is given at a point well south of the south bank of
the meandering river.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA