Subject: Re: Boundaries through urban areas
Date: Nov 03, 2003 @ 16:58
Author: dcupopelilly ("dcupopelilly" <ronkessler@...>)

In addition to Kansas City and Wash DC, Bristol TN/VA is another
urbanized state border, I believe I've read some interesting posts
on here about the bizarre history of that boundary. Chicago (at the
Indiana border) is another.

One of the more bizarre state boundaries I've encountered is in
Omaha, NE at Carter Lake, IA. Driving south from Eppley Airfield, I
was stunned to see a Welcome to Iowa sign (without crossing the
Missouri River) and thought I was hallucinating. My guess is that
Carter Lake itself was once part of a large oxbow on the Missouri
River but has since been filled (but that Iowa retained it's
original property). Driving south on Abbott Dr and looking west
across Carter Lake, if you had told me that the other side was Iowa
you could have won a lot of $$$ off of me.

I'm not sure divided buildings are that uncommon. Visiting
Delaware's 'highpoint' (448 feet, woohoo...) about 100 yards from
the DE-PA border, there is a nearby stone house divided by the state
line (monument just outside of it). I'm pretty sure there are even
buildings on the US-Canada border on the 49th that are divided (I
remember reading about a bar in particular).

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Arif Samad <fHoiberg@y...>
wrote:
> I have been busy lately, so I didn't get to respond to
> somebody who showed a map of a boundary going through
> an urban area. I have some comments and anecdotes on
> the subject that I want to mention.
> It is quite common for state-level boundaries to go
> through urban areas. It happens quite a lot in Europe
> where it goes through buildings. I found buildings
> divided by boundaries in Kopenhagen in both outside
> and inside boundaries. There are divided buildings in
> Vienna. I haven't found any divided buildings in
> non-city first order-divisions, but that is because it
> would be too time-consuming to search them all.
> Though I did pick up a possible first-level enclave in
> the Hamburg area. On the NE part of Hamburg near the
> town of Ahrensburg in Schleswig-Holstein, there seems
> to be an Enclave of Hamburg right next to a
> pene-enclave of Scleswig-Holstein. As
> Schleswig-Holstein does not have detailed German
> mapping site as far as I know, I would like some
> confirmation.
> Even in USA, buildings can be divided by boundaries in
> Urban areas. About two years ago, I was driving to
> Smoky Mountains with a friend (who is patient enough
> to deal with my two obsessions of sports and
> boundaries) and we happen to drive past Bristol,
> Virginia and Tensessee. Bristol is a city that is
> divided by the Main Street. Bristol doesn't have a
> GIS site, but there are divided buildings in
> Washington County on the outskirts of that city on
> their GIS site. One of my favorite border areas that
> my friend, who lives in DC, happens to have mentioned
> to me are the two circles in DC. Both Massachusetts
> Avenue and Connecticut Avenue enters DC in a circle.
> I drive through Connecticut Avenue to go to my
> friend's apartment and when I enter the circle, I am
> in Maryland and when I leave, I am in DC. Much of DC
> has boundaries on streets. But according to their GIS
> site, the boundaries are slightly off and there are
> quite a few driveways and one parking lot that are
> divided by the boundaries. Unfortunately, I haven't
> found any buildings that are divided. Guys, you
> should check out my links site. There are a lot of
> sites I have collected.
> My friend also mentioned this picture

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/Archive/Oct2003/Calif
ornia.TMOA2003299_lrg.jpg