Subject: Re: The tree that ate ARLATX
Date: Oct 29, 2003 @ 16:08
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

thanx & nicely done lowell

& i would just like to add or reiterate the data & considerations in
messages 11300 & 11303
& to congratulate you for showing a displacement on a scale already
far greater than i had originally estimated

but now that we have reached 5 inches
i have to wonder
why stop there
since there is no reason to assume a pivot
& every reason to suppose the tree roots have displaced not only the
top of the stone but its entirety & thus also the bottom of it
being only 30 to 36 inches below grade

so i would guess again that the center of the marker top now occupied
by the brass disk has moved at least 5 inches in these 108 years but
very possibly more than 5 inches

hows that for stretching my own mind

& the maximum possible displacement is indicated by no less than the
present position of the center of the tree trunk

but i believe any better guess at this point would require
dendrochronology

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"

www.mexlist.com/bp/james.jpg )