Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: new wrinkles dept
Date: Oct 25, 2003 @ 15:17
Author: Michael Donner ("Michael Donner" <barbaria_longa@...>)

& the recent news reports have placed the new de facto border about 100 meters east of the old de facto border

& have indicated at least a tentative russian acceptance

as well as a restoration of stasis

so ukraine appears to have won 100m

incredible

bravissimo

but in the process russia has answered the rest of my original question below

by indicating her belief

or at least suggesting she has a comprehensive maritime condominial concept

that includes not only the tuzla islands but the entire strait surrounding the main ship canal ukraine presently owns & runs & enjoys in its entirety

so topologically speaking the entire zone of present disagreement

includes the entire sea of azov & the entire kerch straits

& if not the whole black sea then at least half way to the bosporus & perhaps all the way to georgia & romania

& within that zone there is a tiny open ended de facto border stitch about 100m east of the formerly most putative de facto line shown on this berkeley map

running the length of a pontoon

wet on the ukrainian side & now dry on the russian

& that is about as much of an answer to the question as we presently seem to have

but at least & at last it is looking like an answer if not the answer

>From: "Peter Smaardijk"

>To: BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [BoundaryPoint] Re: new wrinkles dept
>Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:44:26 -0000
>
>Map:
>http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/EART/x-ussr/100k/L-37-098.jpg
>Tuzlinskaja kosa (Tuzla spit): between grid co-ord. 7306,5020 and
>7311,5015.
>Peter S.
>
>--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
> wrote:
> > This dispute is not along the two nations' land border north of the
>Sea of Azov,
> > which is fully delimited, but is in the shallow waters of the
>Strait of Kerch,
> > through which the Sea of Azov communicates with the Black Sea. The
>Kerch
> > Peninsula west of the strait is Ukrainian, and the Taman Peninsula
>east of the
> > strait is Russian. A Russian local government is building a "dam"
>(more like a
> > dike) across part of the strait from the Taman Peninsula and wants
>to connect it
> > to Tuzla Island in the strait. That island was connected to the
>Russian
> > mainland until 1925, but it was assigned to the Soviet Ukraine in
>1954. The
> > Ukrainians are afraid that Russia will claim the island so that
>they can connect
> > their dike to it.
> >
> > For a thorough exegesis of the issue, go to this Google cache of an
>article
> > otherwise no longer available: http://tinyurl.com/rrul . Scroll
>about a
> > quarter of the way down the long page to the topic "Ukraine."
> >
> > Lowell G. McManus
> > Leesville, Louisiana, USA

Never get a busy signal because you are always connected with high-speed Internet access. Click here to comparison-shop providers.