Subject: Re: new wrinkles dept
Date: Oct 21, 2003 @ 21:44
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

nice topological questions they are too acro

your landward tripoint can be seen here in large on the coast of
the taganrog bay of the northeast sea of azov
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/commonwealth/ukraine.gif

& it is indeed impossible to define the fullest possible extent of
the disputed territory
tho the tuzla spit is so far the only known dry land within the
entire area of possible dispute

& i am still not sure what kind of border there is if any within the
kerch strait generally & the tuzla vicinity in particular
nor where such a border would end in either direction if indeed it
is really there
as alleged in one of your articles
& as shown on your map by an isolated stitch of line
since the map has a border accuracy disclaimer

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "acroorca2002"
<orc@o...> wrote:

http://www.rferl.org/nca/features/2003/10/15102003162113.asp
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3208802.stm
> wow is right
>
> ok so it is a real international border showdown presently at
500
> paces
> with high noon coming as early as sunday at tuzla or as much
as
> 4 days later when igor reaches kiev
> & the disputed areas are the entire sea of azov & an unknown
> chunk of the black sea as far as the also unknown turkish eez
> tripoint
>
> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "acroorca2002"
> <orc@o...> wrote:
> > wow
> > thanxx for the exegeses
> >
> > a slo mo invasion by dam dike bridge aqueduct & vodkaduct
> >
> > this is going to be a riot to monitor
> >
> > which makes me all the more curious if anyone can actually
> > show the full area of the dispute & the landward tripoint
where
> > agreement forks into disagreement
> >
> > --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G.
McManus"
> > <mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> > > This dispute is not along the two nations' land border north
of
> > the Sea of Azov,
> > > which is fully delimited, but is in the shallow waters of the
> Strait
> > of Kerch,
> > > through which the Sea of Azov communicates with the
Black
> > Sea. The Kerch
> > > Peninsula west of the strait is Ukrainian, and the Taman
> > Peninsula east of the
> > > strait is Russian. A Russian local government is building a
> > "dam" (more like a
> > > dike) across part of the strait from the Taman Peninsula
and
> > wants to connect it
> > > to Tuzla Island in the strait. That island was connected to
the
> > Russian
> > > mainland until 1925, but it was assigned to the Soviet
> Ukraine
> > in 1954. The
> > > Ukrainians are afraid that Russia will claim the island so
that
> > they can connect
> > > their dike to it.
> > >
> > > For a thorough exegesis of the issue, go to this Google
> cache
> > of an article
> > > otherwise no longer available: http://tinyurl.com/rrul . Scroll
> > about a
> > > quarter of the way down the long page to the topic
"Ukraine."

> > > Lowell G. McManus
> > > Leesville, Louisiana, USA

common