Subject: Re: new wrinkles dept
Date: Oct 21, 2003 @ 20:23
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

http://www.rferl.org/nca/features/2003/10/15102003162113.asp
wow is right

ok so it is a real international border showdown presently at 500
paces
with high noon coming as early as sunday at tuzla or as much as
4 days later when igor reaches kiev
& the disputed areas are the entire sea of azov & an unknown
chunk of the black sea as far as the also unknown turkish eez
tripoint

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "acroorca2002"
<orc@o...> wrote:
> wow
> thanxx for the exegeses
>
> a slo mo invasion by dam dike bridge aqueduct & vodkaduct
>
> this is going to be a riot to monitor
>
> which makes me all the more curious if anyone can actually
> show the full area of the dispute & the landward tripoint where
> agreement forks into disagreement
>
> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
> <mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> > This dispute is not along the two nations' land border north of
> the Sea of Azov,
> > which is fully delimited, but is in the shallow waters of the
Strait
> of Kerch,
> > through which the Sea of Azov communicates with the Black
> Sea. The Kerch
> > Peninsula west of the strait is Ukrainian, and the Taman
> Peninsula east of the
> > strait is Russian. A Russian local government is building a
> "dam" (more like a
> > dike) across part of the strait from the Taman Peninsula and
> wants to connect it
> > to Tuzla Island in the strait. That island was connected to the
> Russian
> > mainland until 1925, but it was assigned to the Soviet
Ukraine
> in 1954. The
> > Ukrainians are afraid that Russia will claim the island so that
> they can connect
> > their dike to it.
> >
> > For a thorough exegesis of the issue, go to this Google
cache