Subject: Re: Crossing Cyprus UN buffer zone
Date: Oct 20, 2003 @ 04:13
Author: m06079 ("m06079" <barbaria_longa@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Meynell
<knm@m...> wrote:

> >but does your safety hazard assessment apply only to the pair
of neutral
> >zone tripoints on the already famously dangerous famagusta
side of the
> >british base or does it also apply to the pair on the less
infamous
> >larnaca side of that base as well
>
> I was referring mostly to the 'tripoints' at the eastern side of the
SBA. I
> guess the UN-UK-Greek tripoint near Pyla would be
reasonably attainable,
> although the lines of control in that area didn't seem to
correspond with
> my map. By contrast, the UN-UK-Turkish tripoint would appear
to be in a
> relatively remote area without vehicular access, not to mention
a place
> where civilians have no good excuse to be.
>
> This said, I don't know how accurately the boundaries of the
UN Buffer Zone
> are defined. I have not yet found a map of Cyprus that
accurately defines
> these (and most of the Greek Cypriot maps only show the
Turkish line of
> control), and things seem to be different on the ground (it was
the same at
> Kokkina and Kato Pyrgos). It leads me to think that you can only
trace the
> SBA boundaries with any real accuracy.

exactly so
& thanxxx for all these various indications & corroborations

naturally de facto tripoints wouldnt necessarily be marked &
neednt even be accurately mapped
but might just be mutually acknowledged & observed by troops
in 3 different uniforms

indeed such multiple recognition or else equivalent neglect by all
parties could well be the only possible ways of recognizing the
truest or most putative locations of these tripoints on the ground

& the visible trifinia might be just as likely to take the form of little
triareas or fence or wall connections etc as exact tripoints

but i dont think they could be entirely chimerical

i mean i think they must really be there
at fairly coherent consistent & recognizable locations
& we do keep getting closer to actually sniffing them out
& hopefully we will succeed even further before they disappear
since they are after all such rarities & curiosities