Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Crossing Cyprus UN buffer zone
Date: Oct 19, 2003 @ 20:34
Author: Kevin Meynell (Kevin Meynell <knm@...>)

>but does your safety hazard assessment apply only to the pair of neutral
>zone tripoints on the already famously dangerous famagusta side of the
>british base or does it also apply to the pair on the less infamous
>larnaca side of that base as well

I was referring mostly to the 'tripoints' at the eastern side of the SBA. I
guess the UN-UK-Greek tripoint near Pyla would be reasonably attainable,
although the lines of control in that area didn't seem to correspond with
my map. By contrast, the UN-UK-Turkish tripoint would appear to be in a
relatively remote area without vehicular access, not to mention a place
where civilians have no good excuse to be.

This said, I don't know how accurately the boundaries of the UN Buffer Zone
are defined. I have not yet found a map of Cyprus that accurately defines
these (and most of the Greek Cypriot maps only show the Turkish line of
control), and things seem to be different on the ground (it was the same at
Kokkina and Kato Pyrgos). It leads me to think that you can only trace the
SBA boundaries with any real accuracy.

Regards,

Kevin Meynell