Subject: Re: sales of sovereignty (the long-awaited return)
Date: Oct 20, 2003 @ 02:44
Author: m06079 ("m06079" <barbaria_longa@...>)

but since you are an american anton
you of course also know about the sale of east & west florida to
the usa by spain in 1819
as well as the sale of north & west texas to the usa by the state
of texas in 1850
but does anyone even think of all the lands the indians sold to
the usa all over the usa
or all the lands the africans sold to the europeans all over africa
etc etc etc
whether for cash or other considerations
for the phenomenon is commonplace & the question is really too
open ended to be seriously entertained in less than 20 volumes

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> Anton Sherwood wrote:
>
> > Hm, now I wonder why I deleted this bit:
> > "As an American of course I know about Lousiana 1803,
> > Gadsden 1854, Alaska 1867, Virgin Islands 1917."
>
> The Gadsden Purchase was in 1853.
>
> You can also add these:
>
> In the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo in 1848 after the end of the
Mexican War, the
> USA paid Mexico $15,000,000 (plus the assumption of debts
owed to American
> citizens by the Mexican government) for the Mexican territories
of Alta
> California and Nuevo México, which it had occupied during the
war.

> Similarly, in the Treaty of Paris of 1898 after the end of the
Spanish-America
> War, the USA paid Spain $20,000,000 for the Philippine
Islands, which it had