Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: NJNY
Date: Oct 19, 2003 @ 06:33
Author: Asher Samuels (Asher Samuels <asher972@...>)

On a personal note, borders like this can be inconvenient for cartographers.
When I worked for a map company doing field checks, we would get plots of the
various areas (about 1/4 square mile per plot), and we would ahve to check that
the streets actually existed, whether they were one-way, etc.

The catch is that each county was in a separate database, and therefore only
the roads in a given county would appear on the plot. We often spent a lot of
time backtracking to get to the next street, where we would maybe have maybe a
quarter of the block to check.

We did get to discover some fun oddities, like the section of the Bronx that's
north of Pelham Bay Park. The houses have Westchester zip codes and, IIRC, 914
(westchester) phone numbers.

Asher

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=40.8831&lon=-73.8115&datum=nad83