Subject: Re: What about others
Date: Oct 12, 2003 @ 13:16
Author: m06079 ("m06079" <barbaria_longa@...>)

well you guys have gone & changed the rules again
or didnt you even notice
which is why i asked as usual for a clarification of the original
question

it is true arif that timor & sebatik should be added to the list that
began with borneo & new guinea
& indeed it is good to be reminded of them
for all 4 of these islands are similarly the variously divided
islands of an island country
& they make a nice list in & of themselves

but again none of them meets the terms of the original question
which was about a pair of divided islands that are topologically
equivalent

the island of cuba is divided between cuba & the usa
& the island at guantanamo is similarly divided between cuba &
the usa

or was that not what you were pretending you were talking about
jesper

the indonesian examples & saint martin are already once
removed from that original example
even allowing for the pretense

similarly ireland is different too
for there is no divided island in this case other than the main
divided island of ireland itself

& if you allow & count ireland as the topological twin of cuba
then you may need to add hispaniola to that list
because it is similarly divided between 2 countries
namely haiti & the dominican republic
tho admittedly neither one is an off island country in that case
in quite the way the usa is for cuba or great britain is for ireland
so perhaps that slippage also would represent a further change
in the original question

but the point is
in none of these cases is there a second divided island to match
the original one

that was the point
wasnt it

so clearly these are all different things
& thus fruit salad as usual

but i suppose if we can take seriously a question about a
supposedly swedish territorial chunk in lake constance
then we can stretch anything & everything out of shape & out of