Subject: Re: river banks and island boundaries
Date: Oct 05, 2003 @ 17:24
Author: L. A. Nadybal ("L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@...>)

Hi, Brendan,

Try:
New Jersey v. Delaware, 291 US 361-85 (in the 1930s)
Webster-Ashburton Treaty, US-Canada, Aug 8, 1842
GB-NL Convention of Mar 26, 1928 re: Borneo under British Protectorate
and Netherlands territory on the island.
Alabama v. Georgia, 23 How 515, May 1, 1860 & (on same issue) Hindson
v. Ashby, J.P., Vol 60 (1896), p. 487 and Vermont v. New York
(interpreting King of England decision of Jul 20, 1764 re: border up
to 45-degrees lat in a bay.

Try also, with specific reference to islands in rivers:
GB-Portugal Agmt of Nov 6-30, 1911 re border two possessions on the
Ruo and Shure rivers, BFSP, Vol 104, p 194
Soviet-Polish treaty of 15Feb61 UNTS v420 p161
Geogria v So Carolina 217 US 516 (1919-22)
Russia-Turkey Treaty of Adrianople (date unk)
Re: change of sovereignty of islands btw Turkey-Persia Nov 4, 1913.
Grover Cleveland award Feb 5, 1895 relating to the Argentina-Brazil
border overing 53 islands in the Uurugay river and over 5 islands in
the Iguazu river btw. Brazil and Argentina.
Austria-Sardo (Modena) Boundary treaty of Aug 8, 1849, covering what
happens in that case when two islands each under separate sovereignty
in a border river join.
Louisiana v. Mississippi, US Supreme Court, 202 U.S. 1 (extension of a
border to the sea across an island).
See also Boggs, International Boundaries, Columbia Univ Press 1940,
page 191.

Hope these are good leads.

Also, in the matter of the D-Lux condo, the 1816 treaty between
Prussia and NL provided that their borders would generally be
condominiums UNLESS another treaty provided other arrangements. Thus,
it may be that the D-Lux condo is a "holdover" - a stretch of river
for which no other arrangements were ever made, or for which
arrangements were made and then reversed, possibly by the Versailles
Treaty when it didn't undid provisions of later treaties (i.e., 1847
and newer) but not of the earlier 1816 treaty. A lot of conjecture,
but possible.

Regards

Len