Subject: Re: Ger-Lux
Date: Oct 05, 2003 @ 14:47
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

yikes
maybe brendan actually meant
can anyone tell him which treaty between germany as presently
established & luxembourg as presently established
established the riverine condominia they presently enjoy

rather than the same condominia they or their predecessors
have enjoyed since 1815

so i guess we really have to ask him also what he really meant

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "L. A. Nadybal"
<lnadybal@c...> wrote:
> They seem awfully old - wouldn't they have lapsed at least in
periods
> when Luxembourg ceased to exist? What would have
"resurrected" the
> condominium when Luxembourg regained its sovereignty?
>
> In particular, the Treaty of Versailles Artile 40 returned
sovereignty
> to Luxembourg and forced Germany to forego any rights it had
that
> stemmed from certain treaties, the oldest of which is 1842, to
> recognize any agreements that the associated states imposed
on Germany
> with respect to Luxembourg and to honor any rights and
privileges
> with respect to commerce, transport and air traffic that the
treaty
> covers. It makes no mention of its continuing to have any
rights to
> share sovereignty over the river. There must have been
something that