Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] questions aroused by brownlie
Date: Sep 25, 2003 @ 23:19
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

In POLITICAL GEOGRAPHY (Second Edition) by Norman J. G. Pounds (New York:
McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1972), which was one of my graduate school textbooks,
says on page 88:

> It was decided in 1920 that in navigable rivers the
> boundary should follow the "principal channel"
> (thalweg) and in other cases the median line."

Unfortunately, Dr. Pounds does not say by whom it was so decided.

I can't cite a source, but it is my distinct impression that a stream is
officially considered navigable if there is any historic evidence of civilized
river-borne commerce upon it. Since the rivers were often the only realistic
routes into the interior of Africa, I would expect the vast majority of riverine
boundaries there to be considered navigable.

Of course, the whole thing is moot if the states agree to a boundary of a
particular description in the stream.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA