Subject: Re: best available resolution
Date: Sep 22, 2003 @ 14:06
Author: m06079 ("m06079" <barbaria_longa@...>)

brownlie is professor of international law ian brownlie
& for bp purposes especially his humongous 1979 border bible entitled
african boundaries
a legal & diplomatic encyclopedia

it includes authoritative texts & expert analyses
& had been out of hand for many months but never forgotten

of course for some few & relatively minor things it is outdated
& i would love to know his present views on things like
bwnazmzw
djeret
etc etc
but basically every continent should be so lucky as to have a brownlie

& i think you are right that we should include the several binational
quadripoints in the count & list of the world class multipoints
& a good catch it is
even without reopening the messy question of whether a multipoint can
mean a point in only 2 countries rather than upon 3 borders or more
as we had been assuming in adopting this special terminology
because happily 2 times 2 does after all equal 4

the only problem there tho is that we still dont know for sure whether
there are 3 or 4 of these binational border crosses in the world
owing to some outstanding messiness in cooch behar
so our world class census
which we have just so carefully trimmed of its last remaining question
mark
is again thrown into doubt
hahahaha
so thanx to you i think we do indeed now have umm 163 or 164 of these

the difficulty of uncertainty can be sidestepped tho by devoting our
census not primarily to the world class multipoints per se
but only to the tricountry points properly so called
since we are already practically forced to reckon bwnazmzw not as a
quadricountry point anyway but rather as 2 full tricountry points

so if we just simplify the terms of reference of the inventory
which would be a big improvement anyway
& for which we can all be grateful for your attentiveness mike
we can still squeak by with a fairly hard & coherent & consistent count
of
160
tricountry
points
& happily both eat our cake & have it too

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Michael Kaufman <