Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Shortest border??
Date: Sep 15, 2003 @ 04:10
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

> if i had to come up with a better indicator
> i would pick ownership of a seat at the united nations instead
> & resign myself to missing a couple of odd crabapples
> namely taiwan & the vatican

What about all of the countries that existed between the beginning of
civilization and 1945? Were they all "odd crabapples"? Surely we can come up
with a definition that does not force us to resort to a unit of measure that is
so recent in origin and already into its decline.

Another argument: Did the separate UN seat of the former Byelorussian SSR make
it a country when it was so obviously one of the 15 constituent parts of the
USSR? By that measure, Scotland, Manitoba, Arkansas, Tlaxcala, and Queensland
should have had UN seats!

This just goes to show that the UN is as flawed as the ISO in determining what
is and is not a country.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA