Subject: Re: Shortest border??
Date: Sep 14, 2003 @ 15:18
Author: m06079 ("m06079" <barbaria_longa@...>)

well i would agree that if a place doesnt have an iso diglyph
then it isnt a real country

but i would not agree that having an iso diglyph definitively
makes a place a real country

familiar cases in point are
ai anguilla
an netherlands antilles
aq antarctica
as american samoa
aw aruba
& these are just the ones beginning with the letter a
since it is fresh in my mind at least

but the discussion of what is & what isnt a country really began
with messages 2232 & the bottom of 2270
so please dont miss these golden oldies for starters
& remember to add the subsequently realized east timor
just to appreciate how far we have already come

or cutting directly to the chase as of today
we can certainly count the 191 countries that are presently
members of the united nations
http://www.un.org/Overview/unmember.html
plus i think perhaps only the holy see & taiwan as special cases
for a grand total of 193 generally recognized primary world states
& apples of our world class multipointing eye

& all the various dependencies of these 193 major players
& all the various & miscellaneous absurdistans such as smom
are its oranges & pineapples

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Meynell
<kevin@m...> wrote:
> Udo,
>
> >SMOM is almost a sovereign state.
>
> Maybe, but if it's not listed on ISO 3166-1, then it has a tenuous
claim to
> be recognised as such. I appreciate there are some fairly
autonomous
> territories that are not included in ISO 3166-1 (e.g. Aaland
Islands,