Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] New Canadian Territory
Date: Aug 28, 2003 @ 14:36
Author: Dave Patton [DCP] ("Dave Patton [DCP]" <dpatton@...>)

At 04:33 AM 2003/08/28, BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com wrote:
>There are 14 messages in this issue.
>Topics in this digest:
> 6. New Canadian Territory
> From: Andrew T. Patton <andrew@...>
>
>Message: 6
> Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:45:58 -0400
> From: Andrew T. Patton <andrew@...>
>Subject: New Canadian Territory
>
>It looks like Canada will have a new Territory carved out of the
>Northwest Territory. The Dogrib Tribe has negotiated an agreement with
>the Canadian Government which recognizes the tribes control of a
>15,000 square mile area in the middle of the Northwest Territory. The
>agreement is similar to the one with the Inuit that setup the Nunavut
>Territory. The map in the article indicates that the new Territory
>will be totally enclaved in the Northwest Territory - so no new
>tripoints.
>
>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A44666-2003Aug25.html
>
>--
>Andrew T. Patton (andrew@...)
>Travelogues and Photos at http://www.AndrewPatton.com - Latest Entry: Brazil

The Washington Post wants you to provide personal info to get to the article.
Here's a link to the Canadian Government's press release:
http://www.ainc-inac.gc.ca/nr/prs/m-a2003/2-02364_e.html
and the site contains links to other info.

"The Tlicho Agreement is the first combined land claim and self-government
agreement of its kind in the Northwest Territories. The Agreement will create
the largest single block of First Nation owned land in Canada, and provide
new systems of self-government for the Tlicho First Nation (who were
previously known as the Dogrib). The Tlicho will gain more effective tools
and new law-making powers to protect and promote the Tlicho culture and way
of life, and enhance the economic growth and well being of their communities."

"Under the Tlicho Agreement, the Tlicho Government will be created, and
through it the Tlicho people will own a 39,000 square kilometre block of
land (Tlicho lands), including the subsurface resources."

"The Tlicho will gain fee simple title to approximately 3% of the land
mass in the Northwest Territories, an area slightly smaller than the size
of Switzerland."

Sounds to me more like the creation of a new municipality within the NWT,
rather than the creation of a 'new Canadian territory'.

Just my 2 cents(Canadian), from 'another Patton'(unrelated to Andrew :-)

--
Dave Patton
Canadian Coordinator, the Degree Confluence Project