Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: BZMX: Photo
Date: Aug 26, 2003 @ 02:19
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

While trying to sort our these rivers today, I found on a tour company's web
site a reference to the bridge across Río Bravo as one approaches Blue Creek
Village from Orange Walk Town. The map to which you link below shows this. If
the web site is correct, then Booth's River runs into Río Bravo; and then Río
Bravo and Río Azul/Blue Creek run together to form Río Hondo. Blue Creek
Village and La Unión would be on opposite sides of Río Azul/Blue Creek.

When I was in Belize in 1994, there was talk that a second bridge and border
station was "soon" to be built at Blue Creek Village/La Unión. This was to be a
great boost to the Mennonite communities who would be better able to export
their agricultural products to Mexico. I guess it didn't happen. At the time,
there were some 6,000 Mennonites in Belize, having begun their migration there
from Chihuahua and Manitoba in 1958.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA