Subject: Re: Classes
Date: Aug 14, 2003 @ 18:21
Author: Michael Donner ("Michael Donner" <barbaria_longa@...>)

hi jan
gladly
message 8244 may be too condensed of an answer
while 4734 & 4652 may be more than you really wanted to know

also
about using the latin words trifinium quadrifinium etc in this specific
sense
altho roman property boundaries were usually precisely linear & their
multipoints exactly determinate
roman political frontiers were typically imprecise & indefinite
& even when walled they were more like no mans lands or neutral zones than
actual modern borders

& you could of course multiply such inexactitude in the case of the roman
political multipoints
or really multiareas

so to put a latin air or emphasis on your tripoint may actually diffuse it
somewhat
say into a greater triple frontier zone or a vaguely tricountry region
rather than to sharpen it into the punctilious exactitude that the class
designations promote

& while i would reserve the finium words for only the most lighthearted &
lightheaded of occasions anyway
they strike me as particularly droll in company with the precision tooling
of the class ideas

also thanx again & please continue bearing with me on the baltic watercourse
borders & the ongoing search for treaty texts

it doesnt matter who is right but only what is the best available truth

indeed if i had to choose i would much rather be sure than merely right or
wrong

regards