Subject: Re: More on LATX bi-state building
Date: Aug 11, 2003 @ 14:04
Author: m06079 ("m06079" <barbaria_longa@...>)

for a report of a latx based paleodoches
& a sense of the full latx based multidoches stretch
please see
http://members.tripod.com/~MWerb_2/CC020301.htm
about a third of the way down
beginning with nacogdoches in boldface

also in the neighborhood tho
for anyone who doesnt want to stretch our multipointing theme
is our remarkable latex arlatx tristate point
whose monument looks like it is being slowly devoured by a tree
tho not an actual rubber tree
when i compare jacks 1991 shot of it with my own circa 1998

so
since i have been meaning to ask anyway
& without necessarily stretching or changing anything
have you or anyone else happened to look in on this baby lately
& how much of the rock if any is still exposed to the light of day

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> It was asked:
>
> > is it true that latex was invented on this state line
> > or was that a stretch
> >
> > say for just anything comfortably between
> > oh say
> > natchitoches & nacogdoches
> >
> > & is it true these are just 2 differently mangled versions of a
> > single fabulous precolonial indian town
> > actually located perhaps somewhere in between them
>
> Answer to first question: No. That was a stretch!
>
> Answer to second question: Maybe. The two towns, 108 miles
apart, have much in
> common.
>
> Natchitoches is the oldest existing European settlement in the
Louisiana
> Purchase. It was founded in 1714 by the Frenchman Louis
Juchereau de St. Denis
> as the Poste St. Jean Baptiste des Natchitoches. The name
was either the name
> of the local Indians or a place name used by the local Indians,
who were of
> Caddoan stock.
>
> Nacogdoches is the oldest existing European settlement in
Texas. It was founded
> in 1716 by the Spaniard Domingo Ramón as the Misión de
Nuestra Señora de
> Guadalupe de los Nacogdoches. The name was that of the
local Indians, who were
> of Caddoan stock.
>
> The Frenchman St. Denis shuttled back and forth between the
French and Spanish
> colonies and between the employ of the French and Spanish
governments. In
> reality, he was operating trade for his private benefit. St. Denis
was closely
> associated with the Ramón family, and his wife was either a
step niece or half
> niece to Domingo Ramón. St. Denis was present at Ramón's
founding of
> Nacogdoches, two years after he had, himself, founded
Natchitoches.