Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: More on LATX bi-state building
Date: Aug 11, 2003 @ 00:30
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

It was asked:

> is it true that latex was invented on this state line
> or was that a stretch
>
> say for just anything comfortably between
> oh say
> natchitoches & nacogdoches
>
> & is it true these are just 2 differently mangled versions of a
> single fabulous precolonial indian town
> actually located perhaps somewhere in between them

Answer to first question: No. That was a stretch!

Answer to second question: Maybe. The two towns, 108 miles apart, have much in
common.

Natchitoches is the oldest existing European settlement in the Louisiana
Purchase. It was founded in 1714 by the Frenchman Louis Juchereau de St. Denis
as the Poste St. Jean Baptiste des Natchitoches. The name was either the name
of the local Indians or a place name used by the local Indians, who were of
Caddoan stock.

Nacogdoches is the oldest existing European settlement in Texas. It was founded
in 1716 by the Spaniard Domingo Ramón as the Misión de Nuestra Señora de
Guadalupe de los Nacogdoches. The name was that of the local Indians, who were
of Caddoan stock.

The Frenchman St. Denis shuttled back and forth between the French and Spanish
colonies and between the employ of the French and Spanish governments. In
reality, he was operating trade for his private benefit. St. Denis was closely
associated with the Ramón family, and his wife was either a step niece or half
niece to Domingo Ramón. St. Denis was present at Ramón's founding of
Nacogdoches, two years after he had, himself, founded Natchitoches.

So, if the two names are related, it is probably through the linguistic
similarity of the various local bands of Caddoan Indians.

I know that this has little to do with boundaries (except on deep historical
background), but you asked.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA