Subject: Re: Harsens Island MI border story
Date: Aug 06, 2003 @ 14:28
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

tom
such gradual normal accretive changes in the river delta &
shipping channel as i believe you are describing here couldnt
have left the border high & dry like this
but would have caused it to move about slowly & infinitesimally
with the channel
just as caus may continue to do elsewhere along the seaway

only a sudden avulsive shifting of the watercourse
& a complete rerouting of the shipping lane
whether owing to natural or manmade causes
could have stranded the border on dry land here like this

the bottom of
http://www.midwestconnection.com/Lighthouses/lk_st_clairLT?S
ChannelLT.htm
suggests this is just such a new channel
& a manmade one at that

http://www.bkejwanong.com/history.htm
mentions the 1958 seaway island treaty that evidently prepared
for the change
which may thus have been part of the greater saint lawrence
seaway construction project beginning in 1959

if any part of seaway island even existed as an insular feature
before the seaway construction
it must at least have had a different shape & a different name

but it sounds as tho the canadian part of seaway island could
just be a remnant of the former & now somewhat reduced
walpole island

http://www.bkejwanong.com/waters/leasing.htm
& an akwesasne connection
http://www.tarandus.ca/nations.htm
indicate at least the canadian part of seaway island & all of the
new shipping channel remain entirely within the walpole island
indian reserve territory
suggesting this part of the seaway might even be a sort of
panama canal zone for the walpole island nation
thanx to the 1958 treaty preceding the presumed construction

http://www.midwestconnection.com/glshpng/OglebayNorton/Buc
keye.htm
has a nice view of the part of seaway island that is crossed by
the dry caus border
& it even appears to be marked by a fence line or tree line

the place where that fence ends at the water line would appear
to mark one of the prospective new multicountry points
if any of this ever gets real
tho i suppose any & all of these new countries would still have a
right to add some territorial waters too

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Tom Sanders