Subject: Re: eelvru - > thalweg
Date: Aug 01, 2003 @ 17:01
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

hahahaha
good one
hahaha

but would you believe the texts then

i havent seen them all
i admit
but i think i recall some reported from this area
actually mentioning the thalweg specifically

& for now at least
the special bridge exemption text in message 9985 suggests
the basic border texts do specify something other than the
middle line of streams

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Jesper Nielsen"
<jesniel@i...> wrote:
> hahahahahahehehehehu
>
> The only person in this forum that likes to complicate matters
more than neccessary must be the utterly Mr Donner.

> If I take a leek on the ground ofcourse this running water will
have a deepest channel. That makes sence.

> But what does not make sense to me, is for two countries
divided by a small creek, not used for any navigation to choose
the deepest channel of this creek as their common border.
Choosing the middle line would make much more sense.

> Jesper

interpretations
> rationalizations exceptions excuses etc
>

> & if you are still with me here
> for purposes of any earnestly punctilious try
> a thalweg junction tripoint is far from an occasion for
shrugging
> ones shoulders or throwing up ones hands
> but is actually just as flagrantly obvious & real
> & just as much an occasion for dancing
> as a summit tripoint
>
> indeed
> think of it as a summit tripoint in reverse & you cant miss it
>
> you know
> as in highpointing or lowpointing
> only wetter
>

> also a thalweg is definitely not an effect of navigation
>
> on the contrary
> navigation if any seeks & follows the thalweg
>
> there doesnt need to be navigability for there to be a thalweg
>
> there only needs to be running water
>
> in this regard the definition quoted from gideons bible below
is
> incomplete & misleading
>

> & i am just as sure as you are of the opposite
> that if the treaties specify the thalwegs
> as they usually do in europe & most probably do in these
cases
> then the thalwegs are the boundary lines
> & the thalweg junctions mark the tripoints
>
> so maybe we should look for the treaties before settling this
> but as for how to know where the thalweg is
> if you still cant tell from the above description
> or jans fantastic picture of you pointing straight at a tri thalweg
> please see also my recent answer to jan when he first asked
>
> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Jesper Nielsen"
> <jesniel@i...> wrote:
> > I would think using the thalweg-principle is only for wide
rivers
> where navigation is possible and normal. Probably more
often
> outside Europe where small rivers would be used for
navigation
> as well. This makes navigation possible for both countries.
> >
> > For smaller water courses I am sure the middle line is the
> general rule.
> >
> > And how to know where the thalweg is? I guess people
> navigation know. Otherwise onless the countries have
problems
> with one another it's not an issue untill something happens.
Just
> like land borders with poor demarcation: Nobody really cares
> (only freaks) untill it is necessary to find out, with the help of
> surveyors etc.
> >
> > Jesper
> >

> > > THALWEG
> > > 1. «A German term, literally "downstream," with reference
> > river
> > > navigation. Here referring to the deepest channel in a
river,
> > genereally the
> > > most suitable channel for navigation at the normal lowest
> > water level.»
> > > (Biger, p. 522)
> > >
> > > (How to find the deepest channel in a 5 metre broad
river?!?)

> > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
> >

> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
of
> Service.
>

> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Service.