Subject: Re: re eelvru
Date: Jul 31, 2003 @ 12:30
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Jan S. Krogh"
<jan.krogh@t...> wrote:
> Remember that Zilupe is a rather small river - about 5 meter
broad and
> probably only 2-3 metres deep. It's a question if it after all has
any
> continous thalweg.

would have guessed from your pic
less deep & less broad at the thalweg junction

& would agree some thalwegs are more pronounced as well as
more linear than others

but i believe all running water has a thalweg
& has it continuously at every cross sectional point

i mean just as a law of physics

the thalweg is just the main drag of the stream
as it were
or really its path of least drag & greatest draw or draught

or as the word itself so graciously says
the way down

aka deepest continuous path
thread of stream
center of natural navigation channel

& this reality doesnt quit just because you dont see it from time
to time

Neverica is much smaller, probably 1-2 metres deep.
> But Nemunas (ltru) is following the thalweg, so at the bridges
there is a
> threedimensional boundary.

hahahahaha
ahh here we go again

btw
i believe not only ltru is following the thalweg but very probably all
3 of the convergent finia here

& not only in this case at bylvru but in the great majorities of the
riverine trifinia & finia of europe

the use of center lines & banks etc is much more common in the
usa & some other new areas
but in europe there is a strong tradition of sharing the navigation
channel

so as a general rule
in europe
all things being equal
go for the thalweg

but anywhere else
look before you leap

but about the supposed vertical differentiations in lithuanian
borders at bridges
if thats what you mean by 3dimensional boundary here
please see message 9985

& i exult as much as anyone in lowells recent demonstration of
such a de jure actuality at bridges on mxus
indeed so much that i would like to find some certifiable
companions for it
or else enshrine it further for being unique as well as original

for it deserves at least this much
while just rattling off the usual busted or unsubstantiated litanies
such as here or in message 10910 doesnt do it sufficient justice

> Jan S. Krogh
> Vilnius, Lithuania
> http://home.no.net/enklaver
> http://www.bigfoot.com/~Jan.Krogh