Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] erupting vertex with molten vortex found
Date: Jul 28, 2003 @ 20:12
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

In aboriginal pre-contact Hawaii, all land belonged to the king. Its use was
let out in exchange for tribute through a feudal hierarchy to communal groups in
holdings called "ahupua'a." They ran "from the mountain to the sea" in
pie-shaped corridors, giving each community access to all of the different
natural resources occasioned by the various elevations and climates on an
island. Beginning in 1848, King Kamehameha III undertook a land reform called
the "Great Mahele" in which land ownership was parceled out to the king, the
chiefs, the government, and the commoners. These grants continued to follow the
ahupua'a design. Their vestiges are found in the land survey system to this
day. Thus, boundaries of many kinds tend to focus on the peaks.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA