Subject: Re: erupting vertex with molten vortex found
Date: Jul 28, 2003 @ 14:54
Author: adamnvillani ("adamnvillani" <avillani@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "m donner" <maxivan82@h...>
wrote:
> & it may not even be a real boundary point for that matter
> since it involves only the thin red sort of line we just met at
mauna loa
> trying to stretch adams thick red molten tripoint into a quadripoint
> & i still havent figured out what such a line is supposed to
separate from what

Yeah, that is a pretty mysterious red line. On the 1:25,000 map
(found on Topozone), it's marked as a "Grant Boundary," so I assume
that means it's an old property line that predates the National Park.
I visited Hawaii Volcanoes NP back in 1996 on a geology class field
trip and can assure that while Halema'uma'u may not exactly be a lake
of molten lava at the moment, it's definitely an active vent. At the
time I visited the active (as in lava come up out of the ground as I
watched it) area was the Pu'u O'o eruption between the east rift zone
of Kilauea and the coast, and from what I hear it's still going. You
can hike along the Kilauea and Kilauea Iki calderas, but you can only
go up to the edges of Halema'uma'u and Mauna Ulu.

Adam