Subject: fresh try du jour Re: MNNDSD County Maps
Date: Jul 27, 2003 @ 12:17
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "bjbutlerus"
<bjbutler@b...> wrote:

I am inclined to believe there is a basis for
> the USGS depiction of the state line and trifinium, although I
still
> have not seen corroborating material to justify its exact
location.

> My plan for this weekend is to walk the ND-SD line from the
witness
> monument to the river, possibly swim across the river and
back, maybe
> make a few measurements with tape measure, GPS, etc, and
take a number
> of photos of the area. I think this will give me a class B visit,
> although I am willing to settle for a B- since I still don't know the
> exact trifinium coordinates.
>
> If anyone will be nearby and is interested, I will be at the
witness
> monument probably between 8AM and 10AM CDT on Sunday.

of course we are interested
as well as nearby thanx to
http://www.bjbsoftware.com/corners/pointdetail.php3?point=58
& the weather looks perfect

but i would like to call it an unqualified class b even before trying
since i prefer to avoid minuses plusses effs etc
so as not to suggest or in any way resemble scholastic grading
& because class b is generally harder to do than class a anyway
& also because i am confident you will recover your cairn
& will measure carefully 80 feet east from the monument this
time & reinaugurate the cairn 55 feet west of its present location
before adding to it
so as to bag & commemorate the most plausible & best
currently available tripoint position

in my experience the 40 foot fudge factor that is supposedly built
into usgs topos is only admitted by them so as to cover their ass
in the most extreme lapses & is thus usually way overstated

in practice
things are normally nowheres near that unreliable

& not to even bother considering the additional & possibly still
greater fudge factor that is often built into gps readings

so i think in this case simply measuring the paper topo & the
horizontal plane above the sloping earth as faithfully as possible
will still represent the best available datum & the best available
tech all rolled up into one

& if you simply lie down on the job & stretch out to your full length
along the ndsd parallel with your butt at the 80 foot mark
before you reset the cairn of course
you will in all probability be perfectly on point & perfectly class b