Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] Re: «Neutral» BYLTLV treaty
Date: Jul 21, 2003 @ 09:02
Author: Jan S. Krogh ("Jan S. Krogh" <jan.krogh@...>)

No, what you are quoting is only about constructing the tripoint. The one I
now have in mind is an agreement on who is allowed to enter the square.

At FIe Mr. Lekavicius told me the Finnish authorities copied an idea at PTw
where the Portugese authorities had put up an obelisque to mark the western
point of Europe (?). According to him the Lithuanians wanted a Lithuanian
"totem" (traditional pole with christian symbolism) as their contribution.
Of course they have tourism in mind, and I do not see anything wrong with
that if it can attract more people to this area.
In this area the Lithuanian authorities are builing up a new "Iron Fence":

«A 65-kilometer-long strip of border, which amounts to a tenth of
total length of Lithuanian-Belarussian border, will be security
fenced. The fence will be light-construction openspaced, four-meters
high.» (Baltic News Service, July 19th 2003.)

The fence will be put up only at populated and special exposed areas as a
frequent visited tripoint would be. This will reduce the problems of border
trespassing. Anyhow the authorities must invest much money in infrastrukture
to attract tourists. But if the EU want to close down the nearby Ignalina
Atomic Power Plant they certainly need all kind of activities they can get!

I think I share most BP-ers understanding about Everybody's land, neutral
territory and condominiums. But I understand and respect that you seem bot
to have created your own English language as well as definition about most
topics.

When I am writing «neutral» between quotation marks I mean "nearly or
somewhat neutral", certainly not exactly neutral. If three or more parties
in a war declares to meet at a summit this area will be a neutral no matter
how many parties are involved. (During Lithuania's Independence War 3
parties were involved (Lithuanians, Poles and the Germans)

Jan
http://home.no.net/enklaver

P.S. (I have now published some new Valga-Valka maps and photos.)