Subject: tripoint adjustments Re: Adjustment of 1912
Date: Jul 18, 2003 @ 15:29
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

thanx jack & glad you are with us
& what do you think of the new mdvawv probability

i am preparing to make a fresh try there
during the next prolonged drop in the water table
by following or leading the terminal segment of the new vawv line
down to the edge of the river & if necessary even into the river
til i am sure i have gone far enough to reach the truest available
low water line

a low water line is a variable line in any case & more elusive
than say a high water line or a thalweg because rarely visible
nor is it even guessable nor visitable with much confidence
unless one happens to know its officially assigned geoposition
which we still do not

yet of course thats only because it doesnt seem to have a fixed
position yet
etc

anyway i know all of this is still looking pretty vague
but i can probably do a little better with some legal help

for i have found no qualification nor even any mention of this low
water line in the applicable law except as the low water line plain
& simple

& i believe there is legal precedent to interpret such a reference
to a low water line as simply the rivers edge at mean low water
rather than at historically lowest low water

& i believe such a mean low water line is normally understood
as the annual average low water line
rather than
& as quite distinct from
say the low water level of the century

& given the breadth of the river bed there
the horizontal difference between these 2 distinct vertical levels
could be huge
so there is every reason to distinguish & handle them carefully

& what i think the distinction if correct means for the try is that if
only the season is dry enough in a routine sort of way rather than
at all necessarily drought stricken in a big way
then the tripoint should still be makeable class b with perhaps
one dry foot & no equipment
even if it still wont be more precisely pinpointed than to within
probably a very few feet along a fixed sight line

would you agree

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "jack parsell"
<jparsell@n...> wrote:
> Brian & Mike,
> I have been following this extended discourse on finding the
truth about
> MN-ND-SD, and
> am naturally very interested in the outcome. Unfortunately, I
have
> nothing to add except
> encouragement and hope that Brian will turn up some
definitive
> information on his visit
> to the site.
> Jack

taken place
> between 1862 and 1891.
>
> I wish the USGS could tell us what information they used to
construct
> their map. I doubt that they just guessed. Hopefully the
USACE map
> did not simply propagate the guess. It is a much smaller scale
map,
> about 1:12000 and depicts the river and adjacent features in
great
> detail, hopefully with great accuracy.
>
> So I guess I'll take my maps, questions, GPS, inner tube, and
tape
> measure out there for a look. Maybe some new information
can be