Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] djeret soon but eretsd much later
Date: Jul 14, 2003 @ 01:14
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

What the article says is:

"In Latin America, contested areas have been turned into national parks owned by
two countries."

I think this is a mischaracterization of the status of the Isla Martín García,
an Argentine island enclave within the Uruguayan waters of the Río de la Plata.
The island had been disputed from at least 1850 until the situation was resolved
in a 1973 treaty that provides that the Isla Martín García "shall be devoted
exclusively to be a natural preserve for the conservation and preservation of
the native fauna and flora, under the jurisdiction of the Argentine Republic,"
but that it will also serve as the seat of a joint Argentine/Uruguayan
administrative commission for the Río de la Plata (which commission shall have
immunity from Argentine authority).

Lowell