Subject: Re: SMOM map?
Date: Jul 10, 2003 @ 18:58
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> To understand SMOM, one must understand that there is
SOVEREIGNTY, and then
> there are SOVEREIGN STATES.
>
> While SMOM is recognized as sovereign by Italy and quite a
number of other
> (mostly Catholic) nations, it is a sovereign ENTITY without
sovereign territory.
> Its sovereignty is based not upon the current possession of
any sovereign
> territory, but upon its historicity as a holder of sovereign lands
in various
> times and places and upon the great modern utility of its
international
> impartiality. The Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of St.
John of Jerusalem
> of Rhodes and of Malta exists simply because it has existed
since the eleventh
> century, not because it is holds a charter from any current or
past sovereign
> government. It exists by its own power. That is what
sovereignty means, and
> this is why certain countries recognize it as sovereign.

excuse me for tho i agree with your conclusion & you have
indeed responded on point to the question up to a point
this is still not a sufficient explanation of sovereignty

to understand sovereignty one must understand self

not just smom but everyone exists by their own power

that is what sovereign means

sovereignty is that power

call it divinity if you prefer
but the supposedly divine right of kings that the legal notion of
statal sovereignty springs from is really only de facto usurpation
of power
in the sense that armed might makes right

however
de jure
which is to say by natural law
every individual is equally divine & equally sovereign as any state
or any smom or any king or pope

but no states recognize everyone
nor usually any individuals at all
except maybe such very few totalitarian fatcats as can still say
letat cest moi & back it up

but that is still just a way of treating the state as a special person
& maintaining the fiction of special state sovereignty

by contrast
nowhere are ordinary persons properly treated as the sovereign
states that they actually are

only in everyones land is the sovereignty of everyone even
acknowledged at all
let alone legally or diplomatically enshrined

so to imagine that smoms special sovereignty somehow
inheres to it because of its history or good deeds or anything
else extrinsic to itself is to overlook the extraterritorial sovereignty
that actually reigns supreme everywhere & in everyone

if italy &or other countries or folks want to make such mistakes
well that is their right & their business

but attaching special significance or rights of sovereignty to
territories or to organizations or to anything else extrinsic to
oneself & other selves is a disempowering delusion

everyone & everything is equally sovereign & equally divine

& territory has nothing to do with it anyway except in the illusion

in reality the world is equally free for all

> In the final analysis, the real estate upon which SMOM is
headquartered in Rome
> is Italian, but Italy accords the order "extraterritorial" status. In
this
> respect, the premises are more analogous to the embassy of
a government-in-exile
> (in that it enjoys immunities) than it is to the territory of a
sovereign state.
> SMOM's activities upon its properties in Rome are sovereign,
but so are its many
> humanitarian activities elsewhere in Italy and the other
countries that
> recognize its sovereignty. SMOM issues postage stamps, but
so does the United
> Nations. SMOM issues passports (only three by some
accounts), but so does the
> Red Cross. SMOM issues valid license plates for its vehicles,
but so do most of
> the Indian tribes and nations in Oklahoma. None of these
functions make these
> entities sovereign STATES.
>
> If anybody cares anymore what the UN thinks, it classifies
SMOM among:
> "entities and intergovernmental organizations having received
a standing
> invitation to participate as observers."
>
> Back to your original question, the boundaries of SMOM's
"extraterritorial"
> premises are established in the Italian land titles to the
properties that it
> owns. Any maps would probably have to be found in the
offices of the local
> Roman bureaucracy.
>
> Lowell

boundaries around the
> buildings in Via Condotti and the Villa Malta on Monte Aventin?
> Regards, Chris
>

> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Service.