Subject: Re: MN-ND-SD
Date: Jul 09, 2003 @ 01:21
Author: bjbutlerus ("bjbutlerus" <bjbutler@...>)

No new information, just another opportunity to visit the point. I am
presuming the tri-point is 9 chains east of the witness monument and
therefore in the Bois de Sioux River. I don't think there is any
basis for the boundary as shown on the USGS topo map, as we have
discussed previously. I even obtained the US Army Corps of Engineers
maps showing the river prior to straightening and channeling in the
1930's. At the tri-point's latitude the river is in the same
longitude today as it was then, and this also corresponds to the
position stated on the witness monument.

I will be staying in Wheaton Saturday night, but I doubt if the land
office will be open on the weekend. Maybe I can make arrangements
ahead of time, though. I'll check. Unfortunately I must be back in
Minneapolis at 8AM on Monday (i.e. Sunday night) and fly back to
Boston at 4PM.

So, if you have the urge to make this a joint effort, which I suspect
you might, maybe you can get to Wheaton on Friday and check out the
lay of the land as it were. Of course, I have no idea where you
physically are at the moment, so this might not be practical. Gregg
may attend also.

BJB