Subject: Re: MXUS Treaty 1970
Date: Jul 08, 2003 @ 18:31
Author: L. A. Nadybal ("L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@...>)

...and with that, I think we've reached the bottom of the funnel.
Now what are we going to do? Maybe we can discuss whether or not the
Mexican land under the bridge occupied by the foundations are or are
not de jure exclaves of Mexico within the USA. Maybe their connection
to the verical shaft of Mexico filled with legs of the bridge connect
them to the horizontal part of Mexico that is filled with the bridge
renders the question moot. Are Mexican government trucks supporting
the scaffold on which the workers stand while scraping the underside
of the bridge mobile exclaves which the US cannot violate while they
are engaged in work that is "relating to the bridge itself"? If one
of the men were caught smoking a joint on a lunch break, could the
U.S. authorities nab him? Or, maybe if after the work shift was over
and they sped off to Mexico from under the bridge, could they be
ticketed for speeding? How far into the US could this roving exclave
go out from under the bridge while on a mission of work "relating to
the bridge itself" (such as going back to Mexico proper via Tijuana or
to a local Home Depot 2 miles, 100 miles, 200 or 1,000 miles away to
buy more paint for the bridge?)

Len

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> I agree with your interpretation of a "tongue" of Mexican
sovereignty "filled
> with a bridge" that extends out over and beyond the
accretion-altered boundary
> in the middle of the river.
>
> I would go so far as to say that this Mexican sovereignty over the
Mexican
> portion of the bridge encompasses the substance of the bridge itself
(including
> its foundation piers into the earth), all traffic and persons upon
it, all work
> for its operation and maintenance, etc. This is all for "the
purposes of such
> bridge" and would be "relating to the bridge itself" (to use the
Treaty's

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/