Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: MXUS Treaty 1970
Date: Jul 07, 2003 @ 05:19
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@msn.com>)

I witnessed the painting of the Mexican part of the bridge's steel structure
that is right up to the monument. It was done with brushes and buckets by men
that walked across the bridge from Mexico and worked without any safety
harnesses or nets.

Catching illegal immigrants is probably not an issue under the bridge, as the
area is within sight of the US Border Station at the end of one of the two
highway bridges in Eagle Pass/Piedras Negras.

Attached is a September 2000 photo of the railway bridge (before the painting)
taken from Piedras Negras, Coahuila, México. The boundary monument is not
visible, but it is located on the left side of the stone pier closest to the
water on the USA bank of the river. Since this picture, a swath of land under
the bridge on the USA side is kept clear of vegetation all the way to the river.
This clearing is done by Union Pacific Railroad, the owner of the American
segment of the bridge.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA