Subject: Re: The latest searches
Date: Jul 06, 2003 @ 21:53
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> Acroorca wrote:
>
> > even tho i myself dont normally go in for any spots or marks
> > beyond the 27 letters of the basic shakespearean alphabet
>
> Huh? I count 26! Are you also counting "&"?

yes of course

shakespeare & elizabethans generally did indeed count the
ampersand as a letter of the alphabet
tho it was strictly a lower case letter then & not yet an upper
owing to its humble origins

in addition
or rather subtraction
since less is more in this case
it is thought that the bard himself never used the upper case
form of any letters
but only these 27 lower case forms & no others
tho it is true his typositors & illustrators added initial block caps
to his manuscripts

& the ampersand itself only began to get promoted to the upper
register much later on
indeed not until the 19th century
with the introduction of the standard typewriter keyboard
but by then it had ceased to be recognized as a letter of any case