Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Chester UK
Date: Jul 06, 2003 @ 18:51
Author: Kevin Meynell (Kevin Meynell <kevin@...>)

Hi,

>well researched

Thanks for the bringing the stadium to our attention!

>The enclave part came in the part of the buildings which were included in
>the wording but not the ground surronding it.

Ah, okay.

>As I understand it Northern Ireland is in GB and UK.

You're right in a certain sense. The codes 'GB' and 'GBR' are the ISO
3166-1 designations for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern
Ireland, which is what I suspect confuses everyone. The reason why 'UK' is
not used, is because the ISO 3166-1 standard requires that alpha codes
reflect a unique component of the country name, meaning that prefixes such
as 'Kingdom' or 'Republic' are generally not permitted. Of course, just to
doubly confuse everyone, 'UK' is used as an Internet Top-Level Domain
because it was allocated before ISO 3166-1 was officially adopted for ccTLD
delegations.

However, Northern Ireland is definitely not part of Great Britain in the
geographical sense. Great Britain is just England, Scotland and Wales
(including their associated islands).

As you correctly say, the British Isles are generally accepted to be all
the islands including Ireland, although I believe the Irish officially use
the term 'North Atlantic Islands'.

>Rockall is claimed by Iceland, Norway (Faroe Islands) and Ireland in
>addition to the UK.

I believe Rockall was formally incorporated into Scotland in 1971, and is
thus considered to be an integral (albeit disputed) part of the UK.

>Britain has four votes to everyone elses (OK USA actally has Guam etc.) one.

Not to mention France, Denmark, the Netherlands and China who could also be
considered to have multiple votes ;-) To be honest though, at the risk of
straying too far off the multipointing topic, I think much of the talk of
reducing the number of votes is tabloid scaremongering. The four
'historical' UK associations are actually guaranteed by Article 1.4 of the
FIFA statutes.

Regards,

Kevin Meynell