Subject: Re: Chester UK
Date: Jul 06, 2003 @ 17:13
Author: kontikipaul ("kontikipaul" <contikipaul@...>)

Kevin:

Great response and well researched. There is nothing in the FIFA
saying you cannot play in another country. The examples you give are
the ones I know as well. BUT you need an exemption. It is to allow
countries to start their own league and establish there own
Fooballing tradition.

For instance, Canadian clubs Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and
Montreal have an exemption to play in a US league UNTIL a domestic
one is established. Same with Monaco in France, and even England to
play in Scotland (in the case of Berwick Rangers)

If the MP ever got it resolved is another matter. When I visited
the ground was in Wales and a couple of buildings and the end of the
field (pitch in the UK) was in England. The enclave part came in the
part of the buildings which were included in the wording but not the
ground surronding it. This is what intrigued me whilst living in
London I read a report in the Times about the idea that English
buildings being entirely in Wales. The idea of a random crime being
commited in the building did it fall under which law.

As I understand it Northern Ireland is in GB and UK. Could be
wrong who knows? But Ireland, Northern Irelnd and Isle of Man (UK)
are part of the British Isles. Ireland is a seperate country on the
British Isles.

By the way Rockall is claimed by Iceland, Norway (Faroe Islands)
and Ireland in addition to the UK. It geographically (by
geographically I mean in terms of the actual rock and the plate
tectonics of it) is part of North America according to some sorces.
It is also been said that "there is f***all in rockall"
http://www.rockalltimes.com

and more people have landed on the moon than been to rockall.

The idea to change the border came because Britain has four votes
in FIFA, Germany, France, Italy, Argentina, Brazil, insert any
country here, USA, Canada all have one single vote. In the case of
voting for the next world cup etc. Britain has four votes to everyone
elses (OK USA actally has Guam etc.) one. So FIFA under especailly
German and Spanish pressure is trying to get it back to one. So this
MP was going to change the border. Thats why Chester is a tongue and
an enclave (buildings but not the grounds).

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Meynell <kevin@m...>
wrote:

> >But because the team is in the English FA and is NOT given the FA
> >exemption a Member of the British Parliament put through a request
that
> >the half of the field, club house and stands that are attached to
the
> >Chester stadium and are in Wales be included as England.
>
> Unfortunately, I can't find any evidence in Hansard (the
proceedings of the
> UK Parliament) that the border has been changed, or even that it's
ever
> been debated. Most of the websites referring to the Deva Stadium
also think
> most of it is still located in Wales.
>
> In any case, I can't understand why there would be any need to
change the
> border as there are many examples of football teams located in the
> jurisdiction of one national association, playing competitions
under the
> jurisdiction of the other (Wales, Scotland, Liechtenstein and San
Marino to
> mention just a few). I therefore suspect this was some sort of
publicity
> stunt on the part of the local MP.
>
> This said, surely the stadium isn't an enclave either way? It's
either a
> property split between two jurisdictions, or a 'penisula' of one
> jurisdiction extending into another (I'm sure Mike will know the
correct
> nomenclature to use ;-))
>
> >England, Wales, Scotland and NIreland are all countries in Great
Britain.

> Without wishing to appear pedantic ;-), Northern Ireland is not
actually
> part of Great Britain (which just refers to the main island),
although it
> is (currently) part of the UK.
>
> >The United Kingdom makes up all the little islands like the BVI,
> >Falklands,Rockall, Pitcairns etc, including GB.
>
> It's important to note that the UK only comprises England,
Scotland, Wales
> and Northern Ireland, and not the Crown Dependencies (Guernsey,
Jersey and
> the Isle of Man), nor any of the British Overseas Territories.
Although the